Maple Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash. While sausage mix is simmering, trim the bottom of the acorn squash just enough so they sit flat. Lightly stab the meat of the squash with a sharp knife, ensuring not to puncture the outer skin. Place a tablespoon of pure maple syrup into squash cavity and brush around top of squash with a pastry brush and set aside.
Cooking the squash in the microwave makes this quick enough for a busy weeknight. Remove sausage from casing and tear into tiny nubs. In a medium heat saute pan add oil and sweat shallots with garlic. You can cook Maple Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash using 15 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Maple Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- You need 2 each of Acorn Squash.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of real maple syrup.
- It’s of Filling Mix.
- Prepare 16 oz of Ground Pork Sausage.
- It’s 1/2 cup of White Onion, chopped.
- You need 1 medium of Empire Apple, chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of button mushrooms, chopped.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Chopped mixed bell peppers.
- It’s of Seasonings.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of dried basil.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of dried parsley.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need pinch of dried thyme.
Add sausage and deglaze with white wine. In a medium-size bowl toss bread, herbs, celery and sausage mixture. Arrange squash halves, cut-side up, in a roasting pan. Run a fork through the meat of each half, creating grooves.
Maple Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash step by step
- Preheat oven to 350..
- Preheat pan on stove top to medium heat..
- Slice Acorn Squash in half lengthwise. Remove any remnant of the stem/vine before attempting to cut the squash in half. Protip: You can tap on the back of the knife with a rubber mallet to get it through the squash..
- Scoop out seeds and strings from the center of the squash..
- In preheated pan, sear ground sausage until grease appears..
- Add peppers, onion, mushrooms and apple to sausage, and stir in..
- Season mix with listed seasonings, and 2 tbsp of maple syrup..
- Reduce heat to low-high and let simmer until sausage is mostly browned and peppers, onion and apple are tender..
- While sausage mix is simmering, trim the bottom of the acorn squash just enough so they sit flat. Lightly stab the meat of the squash with a sharp knife, ensuring not to puncture the outer skin..
- Arrange in a 9×13 baking dish and fill the bottom of the dish with water to 1/2 inch deep..
- Divide remaing syrup, except for 4 tbsp, into the hollow of the squash halves. Coat the rims of the squash with syrup..
- Fill the halves with sausage mix, gently packing it in, until mounded over the rims of the squash..
- Drizzle remaing syrup over sausage mix and squash..
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, until sausage mix is fully browned and squash is fork tender..
Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; dot with butter pieces. Uncover squash and turn halves upright; fill equally with sausage mixture. This recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash makes for a hearty side dish, delightful main course, or a show-stopping holiday side. Slice the squash in half, scrape out seeds to create individual bowls for the stuffing. Drizzle each squash half with olive oil, salt, and pepper.