Vegan Fesenjān inspired stew. Khoresh-e Fesenjān , also known as fesenjan or fesenjoon, is a Persian stew (khoresh) that originated in the Gilan province of Iran. It's made from ground walnuts and pomegranate molasses (syrup/concentrate). A hearty stew of toasted walnuts, pomegranate molasses, onion, and spices.
A hearty stew of toasted walnuts, pomegranate molasses, onion, and spices. The traditional version calls for ground walnuts and slow-cooked chicken. I found sourcing ground walnuts in the UK virtually impossible so I substituted them for almonds and made it more vegan-friendly. You can cook Vegan Fesenjān inspired stew using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegan Fesenjān inspired stew
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- You need 2 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 2 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 1 of large aubergine, chopped into large chunks.
- You need 1/2 of butternut squash, diced into rough 1cm cubes.
- Prepare 500 ml of vegetable stock.
- It’s 2 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Prepare 150 ml of pomegranate molasses.
- You need 250 g of ground almonds.
- Prepare 1 of pomegranate.
The squash adds a little sweetness, which bala. Fesenjān is a Persian stew typically made with some kind of meat cooked in a sauce made… Mains Vegan Fesenjān (Fesanjoon) European Print Recipe. I have adapted this recipe to be Plant Based Vegan by using tempeh as. Vegan Lentil Fesenjān (Pomegranate Walnut Stew).
Vegan Fesenjān inspired stew instructions
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft and clear.
- Add the aubergine, squash and spices and stir, coating the vegetables in the spice mixture..
- Frey the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Pour over the stock, sugar and molasses, add the almonds and stir.
- Cook down until the butternut squash is soft and the sauce has thickened to the desired consistancy..
- Serve on a bed of basmati rice and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds..
Vegan Lentil Fesenjān (Pomegranate Walnut Stew) Vegan Lentil Nut "Meatloaf". Pomegranate seeds can be added for added flavor and a pretty presentation. If the stew is too sour, sugar may be added to sweeten it up a bit. Enjoy! * Gluten-Free folks, please use GF Flour. ** Depending on which brand of Pomegranate Paste you use, the color of the stew may vary from a deep burgundy to brown. No cream necessary in this decadent vegan peanut stew, which gets its flavor from peanut butter and spice.