Korean Style Cucumber Salad. Using a cucumber I picked from my container garden, I made this very simple but popular Korean side dish called oi muchim (oi means cucumber, and muchim means mixed with seasonings). If Korean cucumbers are not available, use pickling cucumbers (aka kirby), Persian, English or Japanese cucumbers instead. My Korean cucumber salad or Oi Muchim recipe is more like a salad than the common, heavier seasoned, more spicy, and garlicky Oi Muchim that you see on most online recipes.
This spicy, tangy and savory Korean cucumber salad recipe would definitely go along with the other assertive side dishes during a delicious Korean meal. But it would also be a great dish to serve out in front of something like a simple, summery bowl of somen noodles. There's no wrong way to eat this delicious spicy cucumber salad! You can cook Korean Style Cucumber Salad using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Korean Style Cucumber Salad
- It’s 1 of cucumber, mild like English.
- It’s 1 of carrot.
- You need 3 of green onions (scallions).
- It’s 1/8 cup of rice wine vinegar.
- It’s 1/8 cup of water.
- Prepare 1/2 of Tbl. Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 of Tbl. Sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp. of Red pepper powder (optional).
- You need 1 Tbs. of Lime/Lemon juice (optional).
Easy and Fast Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe. There are only a few ingredients that are needed to make this recipe. If you tend to cook a lot of Asian recipes anyway, you probably have all of these ingredients in your kitchen right now. This Asian-inspired cucumber salad is an easy way to use up fresh cucumbers, and makes a delightful summertime side.
Korean Style Cucumber Salad step by step
- Thinly slice carrot and cucumber, put in a bowl. I used a mandolin and sliced them about 1/16 inch thick, which was perfect in my opinion..
- Chop your green onions, add to bowl.
- Added vinegar and water to bowl.
- Add rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well. I put it in a plastic container and refrigerate about an hour or two before dinner.
This cucumber salad became my last minute creation. Quick, easy, and appetizing to serve along with ribs, steaks, and grilled shrimps. This cucumber salad is great as a side dish for summer BBQ parties. Spoon cucumbers onto sheets of paper towels; wrap paper towels around cucumbers and wring out as much liquid as possible. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, until ready to use.