Mediterranean Style Zucchini Boats. These Mediterranean Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a vegetarian-friendly and gluten free way to prepare zucchini boats. Plenty of vegetables and protein and a tasty meatless meal. I've been making it my mission to eat more veggies lately, and in that effort I've been trying to switch up how I prepare said veggies.
Grab the recipe on the Mediterranean Dish dot com and for more easy wholesome recipes with big Mediterranean flavors. You'll love these easy grilled zucchini boats, prepared Mediterranean-style with tomato and feta. We make every use of the zucchini flesh too! You can have Mediterranean Style Zucchini Boats using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mediterranean Style Zucchini Boats
- Prepare 4 medium of zucchini.
- Prepare 2 of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- It’s 1 packages of Crock-Pot savory herb chicken slow cooker seasoning.
- You need 3/4 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 small of red onion, finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of kalamata olives, chopped.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of capers, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese, plus more for topping.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken broth.
Check out the tips and ideas in the post. To make zucchini boats, simply scoop the flesh out of the zucchini halves and stuff them with a filling of your choice. You have a meal, and a creative way to use up all the zucchini in your garden. Mediterranean Zucchini Boats take summer zucchini and stuff them with a mixture of ground beef and lamb, rice, tomato sauce, cumin, cinnamon and are topped with cheese and fresh parsley.
Mediterranean Style Zucchini Boats instructions
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot. Mix Crock-Pot seasoning with water and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours..
- Remove chicken from crock pot (discard remaining cooking liquids) and shred with two forks. Set aside..
- Set oven to low broil. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat..
- Add onion to skillet and sauté until translucent..
- Turn heat to low and add shredded chicken, lemon juice, chicken broth, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and capers, and give a good stir. Cover and let simmer while you prepare zucchini..
- Chop ends off of zucchini and cut in half length-wise. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the middles, creating zucchini boats..
- Place the 8 zucchini halves in a greased casserole dish, and either brush the insides with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Salt and pepper to taste..
- Broil zucchini in oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until edges begin to brown..
- Remove zucchini from oven, and turn oven to bake at 400°F..
- Mix feta cheese into the chicken mixture in skillet, stirring well..
- Use a spoon to generously stuff zucchini halves with chicken mixture. Top with additional feta crumbles and bake for approximately 10 more minutes at 400°F..
If you have an abundance of garden zucchini this is the perfect way to use them up! I have a winner to share with you guys. In this Mediterranean Style Stuffed Zucchini, the zucchini is the star of the show – as opposed to being hidden among other ingredients as it often is. It is accented by other vegetables and herbs that give it a Mediterranean flare – tomatoes, bell peppers, olives, feta, basil and oregano. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.