Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Low Carb). VEGGIES If it's a low carb vegetable, it can go into this keto shepherd's pie recipe. Onions, celery, mushrooms, even broccoli, peas or green beans make for a colorful entrée. TOPPING Beef stock, tomato paste, and garlic give the base for this pie some depth but what really makes this recipe a standout is the mashed cauliflower topping!
You and your family are bound to love it! Keto Shepherd's Pie; Before going low carb, I used to make cottage pie all the time. It was a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. You can cook Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Low Carb) using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Low Carb)
- You need 1 head of Cauliflower (chopped florets).
- You need 5 clove of Garlic (minced or pressed).
- It’s 1/4 cup of Green onions (chopped).
- It’s 2 1/2 tbsp of Butter (all natural!).
- Prepare 1 medium of Yellow onion (diced).
- It’s 2 tbsp of Sour cream.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of Shredded cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Sweet pepper (color of choice, diced).
- It’s 1/4 cup of Carrots (diced).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Broccoli (chopped florets).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Celery (diced).
- It’s 1 can of Kernel corn (strained, rinsed).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Ham (diced).
- Prepare 1 lb of Ground turkey.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Olive or coconut oil.
- You need 2 tsp of Rosemary, fresh (minced).
- Prepare of Sea salt.
- It’s of Fresh ground pepper.
But most markets now carry lamb meat. So I decided to try a keto shepherd's pie with ground lamb instead. The main difference between shepherd's pie and cottage pie is the meat. A low-carb shepherd's pie topped with simple mashed cauliflower and cheese is a great healthy winter dish.
Turkey Shepherd's Pie (Low Carb) instructions
- Boil cauliflower until very tender. (About 40 minutes on medium heat) They should be so tender, minimal effort is needed to mash them..
- Strain cauliflower. Pat it dry carefully with a paper towel. Get as much moisture out as possible. If not, they become runny!.
- Mash with sour cream, butter, 1/4 cup of cheese, green onions and 2 cloves of garlic. Set aside..
- Preheat oven to 400..
- Sauté ham, yellow onion and garlic cloves (3). Caramelize and set aside in a bowl..
- In the same pan as the ham, add oil and cook the ground turkey, salt and pepper. Toss in the veggies except corn. When nearly done, toss in ham, corn and Rosemary. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes,.
- Using a casserole pan (I used a 13×9), spread meat mixture evenly. (I had to strain out some liquid.). Spread the mash directly over the meat mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly on top..
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Let cool. Enjoy!.
- Tip – deglaze pan after cooking ham with chicken broth. Adds a deeper flavor!.
Low-carb shepherd's pie with a cheesy cauliflower crust is an absolute low-carb family staple. Keto friendly shepherd's pie is one of my favorite casserole recipes — a meaty casserole topped with a low carb cauliflower mash that tastes like mashed potatoes. Overview As is often the case with well-known dishes, there are a lot of variations of shepherd's pie and cottage pie. They generally refer to meat pies or. Track exercise, weight, ketones, blood glucose, and body measurements.