Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara. Spaghetti carbonara is already great because it uses eggs and Parmesan as the "sauce" so you're getting in some good protein. It also means you get a buttery pasta without using butter! An Italian friend of mine who cooks told me that the proper way to make smooth Carbonara sauce is to combine the beaten eggs with the grated parmesan, and then to pour that mixture onto the spaghetti once the spaghetti has cooled slightly (so that it's still hot, but so that the eggs don't cook and the cheese melts seamlessly into the eggs and pasta).
My version of pasta carbonara has a few twists to lighten it up and make it a little more healthy than the traditional version. Meanwhile, in another large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the bacon with the squashed garlic clove, until the bacon starts to brown. This [recipe] comes right from Italy. You can cook Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara
- It’s 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- You need 4 Rashers of Bacon, cut into 1cm strips.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Sea Salt.
- You need 100 g of Whole Wheat Spaghetti.
- It’s 1 of Large Egg.
- Prepare 2 of Large Egg Yolks.
- It’s 60 g of Pecorino Romano, finely grated.
- It’s 1 tsp of Black Pepper, freshly ground (plus extra to garnish).
- Prepare 100 g of Button Mushrooms, halved.
- You need 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of Garlic Clove, minced.
- You need 100 g of Courgette (Zucchini), julienned or spiralized.
We use only guanciale, eggs, pecorino cheese, and lots of black pepper (carbonaro is the Italian for coal miner). Spaghetti Carbonara "I have never eaten so much pasta in one sitting. A crowd-pleaser!" – Lacy Wynant Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Add pasta to the water and boil until a bit firmer than al dente.
Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara step by step
- Boil the kettle, prepare your ingredients and get your equipment ready. Read through the instructions first to familiarise yourself with the recipe as you'll need to move quickly to keep on top of the timings..
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the pan and fry for about 4 minutes until it starts to turn crispy. Stir every so often so that both sides cook evenly..
- Meanwhile, pour the boiling kettle water into a saucepan, add the salt and cook the spaghetti until al dente (see packet instructions). This usually takes about 8 minutes..
- While the spaghetti is simmering away, grab a bowl and mix 1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, grated pecorino cheese and black pepper. Set aside..
- Now, back to the bacon. It should be nice and crispy, so add the mushrooms to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Now, add the rosemary and garlic to the pan and fry for a further 1 minute until fragrant. Don't let the garlic burn as it will add a bitter taste to the entire dish. You can now add the courgette (zucchini) to the pan and fry for a further 2 minutes until the courgette has softened slightly but still has a ‘spaghetti-like’ bite. Then, remove the frying pan from the heat..
- The spaghetti should nearly be at al dente stage. Give it a taste test. Quickly, remove 3 tablespoons of the starchy pasta water and whisk it into the egg and cheese mixture with a fork. The egg is now tempered, which will help to prevent it from scrambling as it combines with the hot pasta..
- Drain the remaining water from the spaghetti and pour the spaghetti into the pan with the bacon and other ingredients. Working quickly, toss the spaghetti around in the pan to coat it with all the flavours. Still working quickly, pour the tempered egg mixture into the frying pan, continuously tossing it through the spaghetti as you pour. This will prevent scrambling..
- The residue heat from the spaghetti will cook the egg, melt the cheese, react with the starchy water you previously added to the egg mixture and produce a velvety sauce. Pour into serving bowls and top with a generous grind of pepper and serve immediately..
Just before pasta is ready, reheat guanciale in skillet, if needed. Stir for a minute or so. Empty serving bowl of hot water. Dry it and add hot pasta mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and Parmesan until combined.