Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup).
You can cook Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of Soup Broth.
- Prepare of sweet onion peeled and quartered.
- Prepare of piece ginger (about 2 inch) peeled and halved length wise.
- It’s of full nutmeg (you can also use a small cinnamon stick).
- It’s of garlic.
- It’s of coriander, cilantro, or basil.
- You need of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- You need of vegetable stock.
- You need of soy sauce.
- You need of Noodles.
- It’s of flat rice noodle (I used thicker noodles but use according to preference).
- It’s of Toppings.
- Prepare of extra firm fried until crispy tofu (you can substitute any protein you desire here such as chicken, beef, beans, etc).
- Prepare of mushrooms (by preference, I like shitake for asian dishes).
- You need of vegetables of your choice (I used bok choy and borccoli).
- It’s of Garnishes.
- You need of bean sprouts.
- You need of cilantro (a handful is usually good).
- You need of chile pepper, or any hot pepper, sliced.
- It’s of lime cut into slices.
- It’s of stock green onion, sliced into small pieces.
- Prepare of your favorite sauces such as Hoisin, Sriracha, etc.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) instructions
- For the broth:.
- Char the onion and ginger under the broiler until slightly black (about 5 minutes per side).
- Dry roast star anise, nut meg and cilantro in a large pot over medium heat until you can smell the flavors. Stir to prevent burning..
- Once flavors are aromatic, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, charred onion and ginger. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat and keep hot until ready to serve..
- For the noodles:.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, turn off heat, add noodles, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes (or follow package directions). Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking..
- For Toppings:.
- Prepare however you desire. I fried the tofu in oil until crispy and cooked the veggies until slightly wilted and warmed throughout. Season as desired, but note the flavor of the broth is the main seasoning for the whole dish.
- For the garnishes:.
- Prepare garnishes and arrange on a plate. Add the desired amount of garnishes to your own dish once meal is prepared and served..