Classic Macaroni Salad. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Rinse under cold water and drain. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
Stir in macaroni, celery, green pepper and onion. Serve chilled or at room temperature. The classic macaroni salad is a must make every year. You can cook Classic Macaroni Salad using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Classic Macaroni Salad
- It’s 3 1/4 cup of Mayonaise.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Cider vinegar.
- You need 1 tbsp of Prepared yellow mustard (optional).
- It’s 1 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Pepper.
- Prepare 8 oz of Elbow macaroni (cooked as directed on box, rinsed with cold water & drained).
- It’s 1 cup of Chopped celery.
- You need 1 cup of Chopped red or green bell pepper.
- You need 1/4 cup of Chopped onion.
- Prepare 1 of as needed Chopped tomatoes if desired.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Finely shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top if desired.
We can't imagine summer without it! This is our tried and true trusted version, the one we always hope for leftovers the next day. As you cook the noodles, whisk together the creamy dressing. Shock the cooked noodles in an ice bath to cool them off, then toss them with just a few tablespoons of the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Classic Macaroni Salad instructions
- In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients..
- Add elbow macaroni, celery, green pepper and onion (& chopped tomato); toss to coat..
- Sprinkle with finely shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover; chill to blend flavors..
The oil from the mayonnaise will prevent the noodles from sticking, but keeping most of the dressing. Cook the pasta: Cook macaroni in salted water, to al dente according to directions on package. Drain and rinse: Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cool, drain very well (or toss drained macaroni with a little olive oil and refrigerate until cool). Make the macaroni salad dressing: In a medium mixing bowl stir together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar. This will then be the classic Macaroni Salad.